The outlook for allopathic (MD) and osteopathic (DO) physicians in the United States has never been better! The American Association of Medical Colleges estimates our health care system will experience a shortage of between 38,000 and 124,000 physicians by 2034. Even greater need for physicians exist in Illinois' rural communities, including right here in southern Illinois.
Pre-medicine is not a major at SIU. As a pre-med student, you are indicating your intention to apply to medical schools. Students will need to select a major in which to earn a degree at SIU. The most popular majors are Biological Science, Biochemistry, and Physiology. Pre-medical students have also selected Microbiology, Psychology, and Public Health. Double majors are also an option.
At SIU, our faculty and advisors are invested in meeting the need for future physicians. Research opportunities are available to interested pre-medical students. We offer academic support for nearly all of the pre-requisite courses required for medical school. At SIU, you will receive the education and experiences necessary to become a competitive medical school applicant.
View SIU's Pre-Medical Curriculum.
Prospective Pre-Med Students
Make an appointment to meet with our Pre-health Advisor today! We can answer all your questions about pre-medical studies at SIU.
To set an appointment: 618-453-3080
- The Complexities of Physician Supply and Demand: Projections from 2019 to 2034
- Occupational Outlook Handbook for Physicians and Surgeons
- The State of Rural Health in Illinois
Current Pre-Med Students
AAMC Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR)
SIU Tutoring through the Center for Learning Support Services
Morris Library: Reserve a Study Room
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- American Medical Student Association (AMSA)
- Minority Student Resources
- Postbaccaluraeate Premedical Programs
- SIU Master of Biomedical Sciences Bridge Program
- Timetable for Premedical Students
- Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine
- Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University
- Rosalind Franklin SOM
- Rush University Medical College (Chicago)
- SIU School of Medicine (Carbondale and Springfield)
- SIU School of Medicine MEDPREP Program
- University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
- University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
- UIC College of Medicine at Peoria
- UIC College of Medicine at Rockford (RMED - Rural Medicine program)
- UIC College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign
REGIONAL OSTEOPATHIC PROGRAMS (DO)