HEALTH PROFESSIONS OFFICE SERVICES
The Health Professions Office is an important part of your preparation for professional school. Our advisor works with academic advisors across campus to ensure you are meeting the requirements of professional schools while completing the requirements of your undergraduate degree. Our advisor coaches and mentors students as they complete the extracurricular requirements that professional schools demand.
The Health Professions Office can help you navigate the journey to professional school. Our professional staff offer health profession-specific advisement, opportunities for career exploration, and manage the Pre-Health Committee Letters of Evaluation. Contact the Health Professions Office for:
- Selecting a Major - Would it surprise you to know that pre-health students aren't limited to the life science majors? We can help you decide on a major that is right for you and assure that you will still meet your pre-requisites for professional school.
- Health Professions Advisement - Do you know what activities professional schools value? Have questions about shadowing? Schedule a 30-minute individual appointment or drop by during our designated open hours for quick answers.
- Presentations & Workshops - We offer regular presentations on topics of general interest to pre-health students. We can also bring pre-health programming to your class, program or event. Please contact our office if you are interested in hosting a presentation.
- Professional School Deans/Recruiters - The HPO hosts admissions deans and recruiters from professional schools who communicate what they are looking for in applicants. These are great opportunities to ask questions and network.
- HP Career Prep Seminar (SCI 201) - Our staff lead a seminar course each fall for pre-applicants to demystify the application process, help scheduling study for entrance exams, and guide the development of the personal statement. We even offer interview preparation.
- Health Professions Advisement Committee - Our office coordinates the activities of the HPC and the production and submission of Committee letters to professional schools.
- Application Guidance - Our Health Professions advisor is available to meet individually with pre-health students as they navigate the application process.
- Pre-Health Professions Listserv & Newsletter - This office manages the pre-health listerv, which communicates pre-health related information, events, presentations and opportunities in a weekly newsletter. Current students can join the list by contacting the Health Professions Office.
Liz Saunders Health Professions Advisor
Liz Saunders is an alumna of Marshall University and the University of Kentucky. She earned a M.S. from Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Following a career as a science writer and editor, she taught at Eastern Kentucky University and Truman University. She has served as the Health Professions Advisor since April 2020. She is an active member of the National and Central Associations of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP and CAAHP).